02 February 2004 ~ 0 Comments

Ramgarhia 2 – Old Kingstonians 4

On the back of a heavy defeat by Sunbury the week earlier, it was time Ramgarhia produced a strong, disciplined performance against a team they had narrowly beaten the other side of Christmas.

True to their mission statement for the day, Ramgarhia started off with a lot of disciple, particularly with regards to team formation and positioning. The opposition proved to be just as disciplined, and played a physical game, not allowing the Ramgarhia forward line any space to play. However, on 10 minutes, after a brilliant passing move, and dazzling turn by Raju Chana, he found himself in a few yards to space in the D, faced only with the keeper to beat only to hit the side of the goal.

The attack was the only productive thing in the opening in Ramgarhia’s point of view, as the opposition continued to press. On 20 minutes though, they left a gap for Parmi Soor to exploit, taking 2 players of the other team with him, leaving space in the middle for Ranbir to capitalise. Ranbir Girn (Taiya Ji ) went on a mazy 10 yard run, to find Tandeep Flora in the D, who had made a run wide away from his marker, who then turned and shot in one motion  - 1 nil to Ramgarhia, against the run of play.

For the rest of the half, the opposition kept pressing and Gurj Bhamhra made a string of fine saves. Silly mistakes with the basics were costing the Ramgarhia team, and it almost appeared as if the away team was more at home on the surface. Although OK’s were contained for the interim, they managed to win a short corner at the end of the half. Gurj deflected the initially shot onto Gurmit’s shin, resulting in a flick 1-1, and that’s how it remained until the interval.

The second half started off in the same vain, with Ramgarhia on the back foot. This time luck was against the home team, and OK’s scored 2 quick goals. The first came from a long run from the right half, unchallenged most of the way, reaching the by line to cross, leaving a soft finish for the centre forward who had mad a late dash from the top of the D. The second came from another short corner, where the striker was forced onto his reverse, but managed to squeeze an effort right under Gurj’s body, into the centre of the goal.

It took a while coming, but Ramgarhia woke up after the 2 goals. The home team managed to sustain a lot of pressure against the opposition, particularly in the opposing territory, but a combination of bad luck and no help from the umpire, meant that not even any short corners were won. Ramgarhia did eventually break through, after creating several clear chances. The best of which followed good work from Parmi who broke free into the D, who put in a short cross in for Raja Kholi to produce a sharp finish into the left hand corner of the goal.

The goal spurred Ramgarhia on, who continued to maintain a lot of possession, which was converted into quite a lot of pressure. However, complacency about defending whilst concentrating on going forward meant there were a few holes in the middle of park. OK’s right half was the one to exploit this gap again, going on another long run, overlapping with the winger, to produce another telling cross. This time the opposition’s centre forward, which was unmarked again, had time to stop, look up, and pick his spot into the goal.

This killed off hopes of come back, although Ramgarhia fought hard in the last 10 minutes of the game. However, once again, tough breaks meant Ramgarhia did not win the short corners they deserved, creating few other clear opportunities at goal. The result stayed at 4-2, leaving Ramgarhia rooted at the bottom of the league table.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.